GHS warns of third wave of COVID-19 following neglect of safety protocols

5

The Ghana Health Service says the threat of a third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic is imminent.

This is a result of total disregard for safety protocols.

Due to this, there has been a gradual increase in cases from last two weeks. From 1st to the 14th of July 2,500 cases were recorded.

The surge in COVID numbers prompted the Service to hold a crisis management meeting and make recommendations to avert a full-blown third wave.

Speaking at a media briefing in Accra, Director General of the Ghana Health Service Dr. Patrick Kumah Aboagye said the increase is largely from the major hotspots of Greater Accra and Ashanti Regions with a few sporadic outbreaks in other regions such as the Volta and Eastern Regions.

So far 15  of the 16 regions have recorded cases. Dr. Kumah Aboagye stressed that the blatant disregard for protocols is worrying as it is derailing efforts made to curtail the disease.

Dr. Aboagye spoke of challenges such as an inadequate number of ICU beds, limited access to COVID testing and enforcement of safety protocols.

Meanwhile, the Service is in discussions with stakeholders to come out with modalities for mass gathering especially how public funerals should be organized in the country.

The Service is also mobilising influencers, the media, opinion leaders among other stakeholders to educate the public on the need to adhere to the COVID-19 safety protocols.

Source link