At least four children, including two siblings, have been confirmed dead, with two others receiving treatment at the hospital in Oke Igbo in the Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State when a newly installed power cable fell on a container turned shop.
Vanguard News reports that the container was used as a shop by the parents of one of the victims. The two siblings, it was gathered, went to visit the owner of the container, who is their aunt.
Eyewitness account said the children were playing inside the container turned shop when the power line cable fell on it Narrating how he escaped, one of the survivors, identified as Blessing, said: “We were playing and suddenly, power was restored. Immediately, we heard the sparkling sound and we ran out of the shop, not knowing that the new cable wire had cut and fell on my mummy’s container shop.
As we ran out of the container, the wire trapped our legs and we could not walk again. So, I sat on the plank that was close to me, but the remaining children started shaking and vomiting blood.I shouted for help and people came to rescue us and we were rushed to the General Hospital, Ile-Oluji.”
Also, speaking, the owner of the shop, Ronke Adebiyi, said she was not present when the incident occurred.
She said: “In the evening, I received a call that my shop was burning. I ran down to check on my children. On getting there, I saw people gathered and I kept asking: ‘Where are my children? Later, one of them, Blessing, ran out of the shop, but the others were lying on the floor.
They were rushed to the hospital, but there was no sufficient oxygen they could use for five of them. So, four later gave up the ghost. But the case of the sixth child was not critical as she can walk and talk.”