The Ashanti Regional Organiser of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Francis Adomako has questioned the integrity of the NDCs flag-bearer, John Mahama.
The lecturer wondered why a man who destroyed the country’s economy in the 6 years he held sway as Ghana’s President would now turn around to claim to be the saviour.
Mr Adomako posited that interestingly when the economy is now on its feet the former President has suddenly showed up to proffer ideas of its rescue.
The Ghanaian Observer newspaper publishes in full a release by the regional organiser disecting the woeful performance of John Mahama and the NDC when they had power.
François Quizzes; can John Mahama really rescue Ghanaians?
The NDC and John Mahama have always been heard in the news for boasting of several infrastructural projects under their term of office as compared to that of the NPP.
However, it’s very pathetic on the part of the NDC how they have milked the nation through these infrastructural projects that were undertaken by them.
This article seeks to lay emphasis on the cost of various projects undertaken by them as compared to the NPP.
If you sum the cost of all the infrastructural expenditure undertaken by NDC government from loans, grants and taxes between 2009 and 2015 it is less than $7 billion.
Meanwhile, the government had borrowed $39 billion; so where is the rest of the money?
The then Managing Director of the IMF opined, most of Ghana’s borrowing has been used for consumption and not for investment.
The overpricing of contracts, corruption and the absence of value for money considerations are partly responsible for this. Further to buttress the aforementioned points are as follows;
1. 160 bed regional hospital was built in WA at the cost of $52 million but the NPP government is building a 600 bed regional hospital in the Eastern region at the cost of €70 million.
2. Renovation of Ridge Hospital cost the nation $280 million under JM meanwhile a 650 bed capacity regional hospital is to be constructed at Koforidua under Akufo Addo led government at €70 million.
3. The interchange at Circle cost the nation a whooping $250 million, the Kasoa interchange cost $170 million, KIA Terminal 3 at the cost of $220 million. In all these projects, the NDC spent a whooping amount of $920 million. Under the Akufo Addo led government, 1300 kilometres of roads, 3 interchanges and 69 steel bridges are constructed at the cost of $850 million.
4. A runway rehabilitation alone at Kumasi airport cost this country $23.8 million under the NDC, whereas a proposed airport at Ho is estimated at $25 million under the NPP. It is on record that Ethiopians built their Shire Airport at a cost of $21 million.
5. The issue of the Ameri Power Deal is one of JDM corrupt practices.
In this deal, Ghana is basically purchasing 10 Gas Power Plants for $510 million even though the same Plants can be acquired for $220 million on the market. The NDC government claimed that the manufacturers of the plant, GE would have provided the plant at a far more expensive price. The situation of overpricing of contracts through the use of sole sourcing as the procurement method of choice is very typical of this John Mahama NDC
6. An amount of GH¢3.65 million, from oil funds, was used for the rebranding of 116 Metro Mass Rapid Transit Buses. Meanwhile, the company that actually did the work of employing Ghanaians to do the branding of
the buses says it charged GH¢11,600 as cost for the branding of all
the 116 buses.
7. Egypt constructed a 1,800 Megawatt gas power plant at a cost of
$1.3 billion. Abu Dhabi constructed a 1,600 Megawatt gas power
plant at a cost of $1.5 billion. Together, Ameri and Karpower cost
Ghana over $2 billion over five years, and yet will give us 505
8. The University of Ghana has acquired a loan facility of US$217m
from the Israeli Government to build a 600-bed